Thursday, February 9, 2012

Our Modern Era

A beautiful and dignified actress, Diane Lane was the cover subject of Interview magazine in 1981, a time that I feel marks the 'beginning' of our 'modern era'. Many images and artifacts from that time do not look as 'dated' as just a few years prior. The innovators of our modern wonders were young people already at work at changing the world at that time. I'm not nostalgic for the '80s in any way, but in some ways the '80s are still here. Just because society tends to categorize in 10 year decades doesn't mean that society really evolves that way.

I've got to give this more thought.

Richard Bernstein — Diane Lane
Interview magazine — February 1981

4 comments:

Annie said...

Diane Lane has been one of my favorite actresses ever since I saw her in a movie when she was about thirteen, and she was clearly special, not only beautiful in her own way, but an intelligent actress with depth and reach, and I've always liked her voice and watching her expressions.

I've never seen this magazine or this illustration. It seems almost timeless to me, like you can imagine her in an art deco era, or, a goddess from an ancient time. I enjoy the assymetry and the accentuated eye color. It is a version of her, but in many ways it is very different from how I picture her throughout the years.

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

That early movie, she was on a train or something, yes? In Paris or some such? I could look it up, but I'm going from a memory from a long time ago.

Annie said...

Yes! I'll try to find the information on it. I remember flipping TV channels, and that movie coming on, and not being able to turn it off. That was many years ago.

Annie said...

Hi Thom,

The movie is "A Little Romance" from 1979. She was 13 years old. Laurence Olivier was also in the movie. It's Diane Lane that made me want to watch it. Her "love interest" character was annoying, as I recall. There's a scene where she first makes an appearance, as I remember, where she is sitting in an oversized chair, and she spins around. She "commands" the stage, to put it in cliche. Hmm... maybe there isn't a train in this one, but there is Paris.

There's another actress I've felt the same way about, in terms of being mesmerized, when I first saw her perform as a child: Reese Witherspoon as Dani in "The Man in the Moon," another movie that happened to come on TV one afternoon. She was 14, playing the same age as her character.

I have other favorite actresses for their voice and their mannerisms and the play of emotions, but these two women were exceptional with their maturity and the ability to interpret a character from an early age.